Sunday 25 March 2012

I Ran

Back from the Sport Relief run - lovely day for it. Warm, clear skies, great atmosphere with everyone very happy to be out and about. Thanks again to all who sponsored me, and who retweeted my requests for sponsorship - much appreciated. I left my decision to enter until relatively late in proceedings, but as an asthmatic with an on-off chest infection for the last week or so, I couldn't really commit to the run until I knew I was up for it. (Of course I could always have hobbled around, I suppose). Aside from my generous sponsors, both friends and family, I must thank my wife for not only putting the word out, but also being there on the day with camera and encouragement. In the end we raised 340 pounds for Sport Relief (edit: now up to 400 pounds, which is astonishing!).

Here are some snaps. I was feeling a bit apprehensive about the whole thing to start with - 3 miles is not much but I'd already seen one man being helped out of the earlier 6 mile run with what looked like a painful knee injury.

The calm before the storm:


Enjoying a last sip of fruit juice.


The start! Brilliant mix of adults and kids of all abilities.


About half way around. It's an up and down course and the steep bit seemed to get a bit steeper each lap, the swines.


Daffodils.


27 minutes after the start, it's over! I feel as knackered as I look. Time for a celebratory ice cream, and then we stayed to watch the 1 mile run which had a very good turn out.


Once again, thanks for the support.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm not sure I would have tried if I even imagined I might have a chest infection. Very admirable perseverance! And I'm glad I was able to sponsor from the other side of the Atlantic.

    You look to be in great shape, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Al. Feeling your age now? And were they knee warmer's/supprt's or you got shonky ligaments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all!

    I injured one of my knees a few years ago and found I could still run without problems if I used a knee support. Now I wear them as much for insurance as anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Al!
    Your by-line reminded me of the song by A Flock of Seagulls (I'm sure that was your intention ;-) ). But a mile is not so far away!
    As for myself, I took part in a dressage competition at the stables yesterday afternoon, and came a respectable 9th out of 18. Not bad considering I had chosen to ride Iva (yes, she's still there....).
    Regards, (also to J.)
    Sarah H.
    Sassenheim, Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah - Iva! That's a blast from the past. And well done on your dressage result. Neither of us has been on a horse since last summer, alas, but would like to put that right sooner or later.

    Great to hear from you - and yes, Flock of Seagulls ...!

    ReplyDelete